Schools Recycle Right Challenge Competition
This year we encouraged students to improve and demonstrate their recycling knowledge by taking part in one of a range of different challenges/activities using resources from our website. Students from Early Learning, Primary and High School chose an age-appropriate activity and submitted their entry for the competition.
Prizes and Winners
We have selected our favourite submission from each state and territory. They have won a Replas 900mm Kimberley seat with plaques worth $439 (8 prizes with a total value of $3,512). We also chose 3 national runners-up who have won 1 x single-tier eWood Raised Garden Bed kit (total prize value $600).
The lucky winners are:
- Corindi Public School NSW
- Rosemont House Montessori SA
- Mary's Mount Primary School WA
- Mount Rogers Primary School ACT
- Injinoo Campus, Northern Area Peninsula QLD
- Glen Dhu Children's Services TAS
- St Monica's College VIC
- Tempe Public School NSW
- Bribie Island State Primary School QLD
- Sandringham Primary School VIC
All entries can be viewed on our Planet Ark Facebook page
Competition details were:
Choose any ONE of the following challenges/activities:
- Writing: Submit a writing task based on one of the 3 NEW Cool Australia Writing Lessons.
- Photo/video/poster design: Submit a photo/video/poster design that demonstrates a change of behaviour which led to reduced waste through re-use or recycling. These will potentially be used as a new Schools Recycle Right Challenge resources next year! Remember to include the benefits of the changed behaviour such as the amount of waste saved from landfill, increases in recycling, resources saved or other benefits. For ideas visit our Recycling Information page.
- Art display: Design a visual art display using upcycled material and submit photos and a short summary of how it was put together, why those materials were chosen and what they were trying to communicate (200 words max). Our Arts & Crafts Guide can get you started with some ideas.
- New recycling system: Set up a NEW recycling system, using the schools guide, and document by writing up a short report (200 words max) and submitting photos or a video.
- Waste free challenge: Using the Waste Free Lunch Guide or instructions to conducting a waste audit in the How To Set Up A Recycling System Guide (p6), measure how much waste can be reduced and challenge other classes to see who can produce the least amount of waste. Submit a short report (200 words max) and photos or a video.
For helpful tips and strategies for educating students about sustainability and creating a more sustainable school, sign up to our GreenSchools eNewsletter.