Give Dumpers A Lesson
Author: Brad Gray
Despite Australia being known for it’s natural beauty some people still choose to dump waste on the streets rather than disposing of it thoughtfully. Illegal dumping costs councils hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.
State governments around the country have tools to help you report illegal dumping, including a new tool from the NSW EPA.
ACT City Rangers
Littering in the ACT attracts fines of up to $1000 for an individual and $5000 for businesses. To report illegal dumping in the ACT call Access Canberra on 13 2281 or report online.
NSW Illegal Dumping Portal
The new EPA tool called the Report Illegal Dumping (RID) portal is available now for residents in NSW. It allows you to take a photo of the dumped waste, select its exact location and provide details of its type and size (and any vehicle details too if you see the culprit). Those details will then be used to collate details about dumping and are sent to the local council for them to review.
NT Environmental Management Group
The Environmental Management Group deals with dumping in the Territory. You can call the 24 hour pollution hotline on 1800 064 567 or use the online reporting form.
QLD Litter and Illegal Dumping Unit
The Department of Environment and Heritage Protection have a Littering and Illegal Dumping Online Reporting System, for those who have witnessed a littering or illegal dumping incident or have found an illegal dump site. You can also report directly to the Litter and Illegal Dumping Unit on 13 74 68 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
SA Illegal Dumping Unit
There are high penalties in South Australia for those who are caught illegally dumping waste. For individuals it can be as high as $500,000 or four years imprisonment and for corporate bodies fines can be up to $2 million. The Illegal Dumping Unit aims to reduce these offences and you can assist by calling 08 8204 2004 or 1800 623 445 or sending an email to email@example.com
TAS Litter Reporting System
The EPA in Tasmania has an online reporting form to lodge littering reports, as well as a litterer hotline 1300 135 513.
VIC Illegal Dumping Strikeforce
Picture 140 Olympic sized swimming pools full of construction and demolition waste, such as concret, asbestos, timber and bricks. That's the amount of construction and demolition waste that is illegally dumped in Victoria every year. Dumpers can face a significant fine or court conviction. You can report dumping over the phone 1300 372 843 or online.
Brad was Planet Ark's Head of Campaigns for 10 years. He trained and worked as a history and geography teacher before moving into the health education sector for 14 years. With a strong passion for human environments, Brad started with Planet Ark in 2007 as Recycling Programs Manager.
- Data management tips for recycling peace of mind »
- Reboot your perspective on recycling this National Recycling Week »
- Lake Macquarie Council paving the way for recycled roads »
- Turning the tide on trash with the ABC's War On Waste »
- Where are we with e-waste recycling? »
- The 'queen of green steel' launches landmark e-waste microfactory »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part Two) »
- Five Steps to Turn Back the Tide of Plastic »
- Upcoming E-Waste Collection Events »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- Post Back Your Post Packs »
- Grow a Green Thumb »
- A Quick Recycling Guide To 3 Tricky Items »
- Learn From The New Wave In Innovation »
- Who Made the Top Ten Cartridge Recyclers »
- Cash For Containers In NSW - It Pays To Recycle »
- Coffee Go-Ground »
- What's the Deal With Business Waste? »
- Have A Light Bulb Moment With Broken Bulbs »
- Power Tool Battery recycling creates buzz in Brisbane »
- Batteries Included »
- Full Tummy Empty Bins »
- 'Appy' Christmas gift from Planet Ark »
- Save the date! 'Waste Not, Want Not' Day is coming »
- $50,000 Rebate Open for NSW Businesses to Increase Recycling »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Are You Making the No 1 Mistake? »
- Inspiring Performers »
- Garage Sale Trailing Right Around Australia »
- Declutter Your Office E-waste for FREE »
- Power Tool Battery Recycling Pilot Launches in Brisbane »
- Reduce Your Pet's Paw Print »
- E-Waste Busters »
- Identifying Asbestos »
- One House, Four Hours, Four Tonnes of Recycling »
- The art of upcycling »
- Creative Composting »