You made June our Biggest Month Ever!
Author: Ryan Collins
What a great way to end the financial year. Your cartridge returns made June the biggest month ever for ‘Cartridges 4 Planet Ark’! And it’s not the only milestone we’re celebrating.
With more and more new workplaces registering for a collection box (over 1,500 in the past 3 months) and high volumes from those dropping off their used printer cartridges at retail outlets, June saw over 369,000 cartridges returned. That’s the largest amount in our thirteen year history!
You may have already heard about TonerPave ®, an innovative road surface developed by our resources recovery partner Close the Loop and Downer, which uses recycled toner from the ‘Cartridges 4 Planet Ark’ program. Well now, enough TonerPave has been laid nationally to build a road from Sydney to Newcastle and back! That’s 145,000 tonnes of low-carbon asphalt that has used the toner from 9 million recycled cartridges.
On top of the 15 councils that have used TonerPave in Australia, there is also interest for the product coming from overseas, in the US and Europe. The perception that waste is a resource is growing!
Watch the video below to find out more about Close the Loop’s journey with TonerPave.
By participating in the ‘Cartridges 4 Planet Ark' program Brother, Canon, Epson, HP, Konica Minolta and Kyocera are taking responsibility for the cartridges they produce.
Ryan is the Head of Sustainable Resource Programs at Planet Ark. After nearly a decade working in the banking and finance industry Ryan was drawn to a career in environmental conservation that saw him work in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Fiji. With a background in psychology and environmental management, Ryan’s role at Planet Ark since 2012 has been focused on developing engaging and positive environmental behaviour change programs to help everyone recycle and reduce waste.
- Sustainable printing? Yes, it is possible! »
- Cartridges 4 Planet Ark nails product stewardship at a time when most are finding their feet »
- Who's in the top ten returners for Cartridges 4 Planet Ark? »
- Recycle your schools' printer cartridges in May to help protect our beaches »
- Research reveals Australia's most trusted recycling program »
- Important green dates for the 2019 school calendar »
- We're celebrating 40 million cartridges saved from landfill »
- The new regifting - giving recycled products »
- Close the Loop winners at 2018 Hume Business Awards »
- New research sheds light on Australian attitudes towards environmental sustainability »
- Lake Macquarie Council paving the way for recycled roads »
- NSW gets its own revolutionary road »
- Where are we with e-waste recycling? »
- Budding Australian solutions for plastic waste »
- Did your council or workplace make the top ten? »
- Cartridges 4 Planet Ark celebrates 15 years of recycling with Layne Beachley »
- How Cartridges 4 Planet Ark is part of the solution to plastic pollution »
- Find out how Cartridges 4 Planet Ark is part of the solution to plastic pollution »
- Compatible printer cartridges are not what you think they are »
- Epson elevates commitment to cartridge recycling »
- Did Your Council or Workplace Make the Top Ten? »
- Thanks Australia! 13,500 Printer Cartridges Recycled Every Working Day »
- An Impressive 10 Million and Counting »
- Printer Cartridges are Driving Innovation »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
- Zero Waste Audit Results for 'Cartridges 4 Planet Ark' Program Partner »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- A Quick Recycling Guide To 3 Tricky Items »
- Selfie Challenge Winners »
- Printage Cartrij? Printer cartres? Printer Cartridges? »
- Reimagining Rubbish as a Resource »
- Selfie Challenge - #WhatsNotToLove »
- Look Who's Recycled 30 Million Cartridges »
- Electrify Recycling »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Planet Ark Ambassadors Honoured »