Magically Turn Your Mobile Into a Meal
Author: Ryan Collins
It's great to spread the magic of the festive season. Especially when you're doing something positive for the environment AND people in need. So for every mobile you recycle with MobileMuster, they will donate the value of a meal to OzHarvest to help feed those in need across the country.
Electronic waste, including small gadgets such as mobile phones and their accessories are the fastest growing waste in Australia with a staggering 25 million old, unused handsets sitting around at home and in the workplace ready to be recycled.
“We know four million of these old mobile handsets are broken and completely unusable which is a huge opportunity for all Aussies to clean out their junk drawers and get those broken handsets recycled,” said Spyro Kalos, Recycling Manager for MobileMuster
With more than two million Australian’s relying on food relief each year, MobileMuster hopes to make a positive contribution by recycling 60,000 mobiles, which will help OzHarvest provide 60,000 meals to vulnerable Australians.
“With all of the bountiful produce in this country, the thought of anyone going hungry is surprising, but it’s a cause we can all rally behind. This initiative will ask mobile phone users to think about how they can put their old unused mobiles to good use and tackle two of Australia’s big waste challenges; e-waste and food waste.” commented Kalos.
“We know Australians waste around $10 billion dollars of food each year, that’s almost four million tonnes of food ending up in landfill. Good food should not go to waste when there are still so many hungry people” said Ronni Kahn, CEO and Founder of OzHarvest.
“OzHarvest is excited to partner with MobileMuster on the Mobile for a Meal campaign, as it creates sustainable action by turning recycled electronic waste into nourishing meals,” concluded Kahn.
For every mobile donated within the campaign period, MobileMuster will donate the value of a meal to help feed an Aussie in need. Simply drop off your old mobile, along with any accessories including chargers, at your nearest mobile phone retail store, or post them to MobileMuster using a free recycling satchel, available at Australia Post. Visit RecyclingNearYou.com.au to find your nearest drop off point.
Australians can show their support online through the use of the campaign hashtag #mobileforameal.
Ryan is the Recycling Programs Manager at Planet Ark. After nearly a decade working in the banking and finance industry Ryan was drawn to a career in environmental conservation that saw him work in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Fiji. With a background in psychology and environmental management, Ryan’s role at Planet Ark since 2012 has been focused on developing engaging and positive environmental behaviour change programs to help everyone recycle and reduce waste.
- How to fight a festive war on waste at Christmas »
- The Circle of (Tree) Life »
- Do De-clutter, Then Recycle »
- Thanks for helping make 2016 a great year! »
- Cleaner Christmas Travel »
- The Secret to Battery-Powered Gifts »
- Choosing an eco-friendly Christmas tree »
- Easy Electrifying Recycling »
- Recycle Right At Christmas »
- Be Like Santa and Make A List »
- Don't Worry, Be Appy! »
- How To Eco-Wrap a Present »
- The Gift of an Experience »
- Do Celebrate Less Waste at Work »
- Do Durable Decorations or Make Your Own »
- Get Crafty this Christmas »
- How to Reduce Spending and Your Eco-Footprint This Christmas »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- What does January mean for a Christmas Tree? »
- Love a Tree »
- 'Tis the Season to De-Clutter »
- Give someone a (indoor) tree this Christmas! »
- Cleaner Transport »
- Batteries Included »
- Electrify Recycling »
- Recycle Right »
- Full Tummy Empty Bins »
- Recycle your old mobiles & help the Salvos »
- Have an Appy Christmas »
- Re-Wrap It Up »
- Give Thoughtful Gifts »
- Celebrate Recycling at Work »
- 'Appy' Christmas gift from Planet Ark »
- Make Recycling at Work, Work »
- 2015 Grow Up With Nature Photo Competition Winner Announced »
- Awake to the Fun of Recycling »
- Planet Ark Project - Answering Kid's Questions »
- Reduce Your Pet's Paw Print »
- Fun & Easy Gardening Tips For Kids »
- Grow Up With Nature - Competition »
- Get Grubby Then Get Clean »
- Dabbling in DIY »
- The art of upcycling »
- Planet Ark Ambassadors Honoured »
- Turning Trash Into Treasure »