Does your school recycle right? Take the Challenge!
Author: Carol Warwick
National Recycling Week is coming up and Planet Ark is encouraging everyone to be a good sort by recycling at their home, school or workplace.
Now in its 22nd year, Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week was founded to bring a national focus to the environmental benefits of recycling. Recycling has become part of our everyday lives and it’s an industry that is continually evolving with new technology and innovations that manage our waste and help protect the environment.
This year’s theme, What Goes Around: Why Buying Recycled Matters, highlights why it’s so important to close the recycling loop. When items are recycled, they are turned into new products (or base materials that can be made into new products), which reduces waste and saves resources.
The key to closing the recycling loop is for consumers, businesses and organisations, like schools, to give their recycling another life by buying products made from recycled materials. The good news is we are surrounded by these products; from drink bottles, shoes, and clothing to chopping boards, toilet paper, furniture, carpet underlay, newspapers and many more!
Popular National Recycling Week activities the Friday File Fling, the Big Aussie Swap, and the Schools Recycle Right Challenge are designed to get schools, social or community groups and businesses recycling, in addition to the recycling actions people take at home.
Schools Recycle Right Challenge
The Challenge, which is held from 2 October to 17 November, offers a wide range of recycling-themed activities, lesson plans and event ideas with a particular focus on the journey of old mobiles and printer cartridges, and the process of recycling paper. Resources have been developed to enable learning by doing, and learning by having fun!
Planet Ark media manager, Carol Warwick said, “every year thousands of school students take part in the Challenge, which is an opportunity for children to learn all about recycling”.
“Planet Ark offers a wide range of recycling-themed activities, lesson plans and event ideas with a particular focus on the journey of old mobiles and printer cartridges, and the process of recycling paper. It’s all about having fun and learning!”
“Our overarching theme for the campaign this year is What Goes Around: Why Buying Back Matters, and we’re looking at why recycling waste is only half the story – to fully close the recycling loop we need to choose products made from recycled, or upcycled, materials.”
Supporters of the Challenge include dedicated environmentalists Costa Georgiadis (Gardening Australia), Laura Wells (model and marine biologist) and Professor Veena Sahajwalla (SMaRT@UNSW, The New Inventors).
A Getting Started Guide is available at schoolsrecycle.planetark.org.
Carol worked at Planet Ark in the PR and Media Team in 2017.
- Important green dates for the 2019 school calendar »
- Are you a recycling guru? »
- 4 things you didn't know about Tetra Pak cartons »
- Take the journey with us from Waste War to Recycling Reboot »
- Reboot your perspective on recycling this National Recycling Week »
- Recycle Street is easy street for City of Gold Coast recyclers »
- National Recycling Week 2018 - From Waste War to Recycling Reboot »
- Battery industry leaders welcome support of Ministers for fast tracking a battery stewardship scheme »
- Office paper flung all over the country »
- Inspiring story: Sporting fields made from tyres »
- Complete the recycle cycle this National Recycling Week! »
- There's still time for a Fling »
- We're bursting with ideas, events and activities to share with you for National Recycling Week »
- Why buying it back is good for business and the environment »
- Mobile for a meal, recycling feeds those in need »
- Get ready for National Recycling Week »
- Fight waste and get a bargain at the Big Aussie Swap »
- Take the Schools Recycle Right Challenge »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part One) »
- Flings Save Tonnes of Paper »
- Schools Recycle Right Challenge Winners »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
- Cleaning Up Confusion for National Recycling Week »
- Planet Ark Launches 100% Recycled Office Paper »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- The Naturale Schools Recycle Right Challenge Kicks Off »
- Giving Coffee Pods Another Life »
- Cash For Containers In NSW - It Pays To Recycle »
- Have An Eco-Easter »
- Get Your 2016 Environment Action Planner »
- Best Fling Ever »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Make Recycling at Work, Work »
- Let the Flings Begin »
- Recycling Role Models »
- Are You Making the No 1 Mistake? »
- Inspiring Performers »
- Answers to the Big Recycling Questions »
- Test Your Recycling Knowledge! »
- Getting Your Recycling Sorted »
- New Label Makes Recycling Easy »
- Garage Sale Trailing Right Around Australia »
- Declutter Your Office E-waste for FREE »
- E-Waste Busters »
- The art of upcycling »