Get ready for National Recycling Week
Author: Ryan Collins
With National Recycling Week just under seven weeks away, now is the time to start planning your events and activities. So what is the theme and how can you get involved?
In the lead up to and during National Recycling Week (NRW) we will be running an extensive PR, media, social media and direct marketing campaign promoting the theme for this year, What Goes Around: Why Buying Recycled Matters. The aim is to show what happens to recycling beyond the bin and to encourage householders, businesses and schools to “buy it back”.
Part of the messaging will encourage consumers to look for products made from recycled materials or pre-loved or upcycled items. This is where ‘re-use shops’ or ‘tip shops’ can take advantage of the theme by promoting their ‘Buy It Back Day’ during National Recycling Week.
Buy It Back Day
What is Buy It Back Day?
Buy It Back Day is a day for second-hand shops to get involved in National Recycling Week.
How does our secondhand shop get involved?
- Plan your event for the Saturday 18 November during National Recycling Week (13 - 19 November 2017), or choose another day if that doesn’t suit.
- Decide what to do – you could:
- Offer discounts to customers on that day;
- Hold a BBQ for customers & raise money for your favourite charity;
- Have a lucky door prize on the day;
- Have prizes for photos shared on social media from the event; and/or
- Come up with something else!
- Register your event on the National Recycling Week website
- Find out more about promoting your event .
If you’re a large recycling facility, you could offer tours during National Recycling Week to schools or the general public. Get in touch with local councils and media to help promote the event. And don’t forget to register your event on the National Recycling Week website.
Friday File Fling
Workplaces around the country are invited to host a Friday File Fling - a paper recycling initiative held on the Friday of National Recycling Week (Friday 17 November). Employees of participating organisations sort through filing cabinets and desk drawers to recycle redundant paperwork and old documents. It’s a piece of cake – so have a Fling!
Update Your Listings
Now is a good time to update your listings, in readiness for National Recycling Week.
- Recyclers and Supporting Services providers, update your listings here.
- Equipment suppliers, update your listings here.
Ryan is the Recycling Programs Manager at Planet Ark. After nearly a decade working in the banking and finance industry Ryan was drawn to a career in environmental conservation that saw him work in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Fiji. With a background in psychology and environmental management, Ryan’s role at Planet Ark since 2012 has been focused on developing engaging and positive environmental behaviour change programs to help everyone recycle and reduce waste.
- Important green dates for the 2019 school calendar »
- Are you a recycling guru? »
- 4 things you didn't know about Tetra Pak cartons »
- Take the journey with us from Waste War to Recycling Reboot »
- Reboot your perspective on recycling this National Recycling Week »
- Recycle Street is easy street for City of Gold Coast recyclers »
- National Recycling Week 2018 - From Waste War to Recycling Reboot »
- Battery industry leaders welcome support of Ministers for fast tracking a battery stewardship scheme »
- Office paper flung all over the country »
- Inspiring story: Sporting fields made from tyres »
- Complete the recycle cycle this National Recycling Week! »
- There's still time for a Fling »
- We're bursting with ideas, events and activities to share with you for National Recycling Week »
- Why buying it back is good for business and the environment »
- Mobile for a meal, recycling feeds those in need »
- Fight waste and get a bargain at the Big Aussie Swap »
- Does your school recycle right? Take the Challenge! »
- Take the Schools Recycle Right Challenge »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part One) »
- Flings Save Tonnes of Paper »
- Schools Recycle Right Challenge Winners »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
- Cleaning Up Confusion for National Recycling Week »
- Planet Ark Launches 100% Recycled Office Paper »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- The Naturale Schools Recycle Right Challenge Kicks Off »
- Giving Coffee Pods Another Life »
- Cash For Containers In NSW - It Pays To Recycle »
- Have An Eco-Easter »
- Get Your 2016 Environment Action Planner »
- Best Fling Ever »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Make Recycling at Work, Work »
- Let the Flings Begin »
- Recycling Role Models »
- Are You Making the No 1 Mistake? »
- Inspiring Performers »
- Answers to the Big Recycling Questions »
- Test Your Recycling Knowledge! »
- Getting Your Recycling Sorted »
- New Label Makes Recycling Easy »
- Garage Sale Trailing Right Around Australia »
- Declutter Your Office E-waste for FREE »
- E-Waste Busters »
- The art of upcycling »