Complete the recycle cycle this National Recycling Week!
Author: Nell MacDonald
This week is Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week and there are a number of ways you and your workplace can get involved.
This year our theme What Goes Around: Why Buying Recycled Matters focuses on why it is important to complete the recycle cycle and buy back recycled products.
Our new research guide ‘What Goes Around: Why Buying Recycled Matters’ shows what happens to recycled materials beyond the bin and gives information for those looking to adopt sustainable procurement within their organisations. We have also developed a list of recycled products to make it easy for those wanting to make the switch.
There are a number of ways you can get involved in National Recycling Week at work, at home, at school or in the community.
Friday File Fling - Friday the 17th November
The Friday File Fling, supported by Planet Ark Paper, is an easy, fun way to get together as a team to declutter the office and get important paper resources back into circulation. There are thousands of tonnes of valuable, high quality office paper stored away in old files that will never be looked at again.
This year we are giving businesses the chance to win 5 cartons of Planet Ark 100% Australian Recycled Paper. All you have to do is register for a fling and submit your results!
There is still time to get involved. Register your fling here.
Big Aussie Swap
Hosting a Big Aussie Swap party is one of the most popular and social ways to get involved in National Recycling Week. Simply decide on your swap theme, get your friends together and give your wardrobe, pantry or homewares a revamp! Find out more here.
Schools Recycle Right Challenge
The Naturale Schools Recycle Right Challenge provides schools with the resources to teach students about recycling and inspire the next generation to recycle right!
Cool Australia, with the help of Bingo Industries and Mobile Muster, have developed engaging lesson plans to help teach students about the importance of recycling.
This year we are giving schools the opportunity to win a Replas bench, made from recycled soft plastics, or an eWood garden bed made from recycled plastic.
Do you know a teacher that might be interested? You can find all the information you need here.
Buy it Back Day - Saturday the 18th November
This year we have launched a new initiative, Buy it Back Day. On this day we are encouraging Australians to celebrate National Recycling Week by being mindful with your purchases. We encourage you to buy something made from recycled materials, or get a bargain at your local op shop and buy secondhand instead of brand new!
Buying secondhand items or products made from recycled materials reduces your impact on the environment by saving the resources and energy that go into making products from virgin materials. Buying recycled helps to close the recycling loop and support the circular economy rather than the take-make-dispose economy.
Thank you to our amazing sponsors for their support of National Recycling Week!
Major Sponsor: Naturale 100% Recycled Toilet Tissue
Associate Sponsors: Bingo Industries, Cartridges 4 Planet Ark
Supporting Sponsors: MobileMuster, Planet Ark Paper, Tetra Pak, Tyre Stewardship Australia
Nell is Special Projects Manager at Planet Ark.
- Recycle Street is easy street for City of Gold Coast recyclers »
- National Recycling Week 2018 - From Waste War to Recycling Reboot »
- Battery industry leaders welcome support of Ministers for fast tracking a battery stewardship scheme »
- Office paper flung all over the country »
- Inspiring story: Sporting fields made from tyres »
- There's still time for a Fling »
- We're bursting with ideas, events and activities to share with you for National Recycling Week »
- Why buying it back is good for business and the environment »
- Mobile for a meal, recycling feeds those in need »
- Get ready for National Recycling Week »
- Fight waste and get a bargain at the Big Aussie Swap »
- Does your school recycle right? Take the Challenge! »
- Take the Schools Recycle Right Challenge »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part One) »
- Flings Save Tonnes of Paper »
- Schools Recycle Right Challenge Winners »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
- Cleaning Up Confusion for National Recycling Week »
- Planet Ark Launches 100% Recycled Office Paper »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- The Naturale Schools Recycle Right Challenge Kicks Off »
- Giving Coffee Pods Another Life »
- Cash For Containers In NSW - It Pays To Recycle »
- Have An Eco-Easter »
- Get Your 2016 Environment Action Planner »
- Best Fling Ever »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Make Recycling at Work, Work »
- Let the Flings Begin »
- Recycling Role Models »
- Are You Making the No 1 Mistake? »
- Inspiring Performers »
- Answers to the Big Recycling Questions »
- Test Your Recycling Knowledge! »
- Getting Your Recycling Sorted »
- New Label Makes Recycling Easy »
- Garage Sale Trailing Right Around Australia »
- Declutter Your Office E-waste for FREE »
- E-Waste Busters »
- The art of upcycling »