Celebrating 25 years of positive environmental action
Author: Nell McDonald
Imagine, it’s the early 90s you’re banging your blonde tipped head along to Nirvana on the radio, sipping on a can of soft drink. You are conscious that recycling is a good thing to do, but your only option to recycle the can, is taking it to one of the ‘Cash for Cans’ drop off locations. In 1992 when Planet Ark first began, that was the state of recycling in Australia. We’ve come a long way since then!
Born out of a vision to empower all Australians to take positive environmental actions, Planet Ark has led a diverse range of programs and initiatives to protect the planet over the past 25 years. We are proud to be celebrating a quarter of a century as Australia’s pioneering environmental behaviour change organisation.
1996 saw the launch of National Tree Day and Schools Tree Day – Australia’s largest tree-planting and nature care events. Generations of Australians have participated, volunteering in their local communities, planting over 24 million trees.
1996 was also the year National Recycling Week launched. Now in its 22nd year, this highly regarded annual event continues to educate people on the benefits of recycling and stimulating behaviour change.
The pioneering product stewardship program Cartridges 4 Planet Ark was launched in 2003, with a world-first zero-waste-to-landfill outcome. Since then over 38 million printer cartridges have been recycled in to road base, garden beds and many other products.
The recycling website Recycling Near You was launched in 2006 and has helped millions upon millions of people recycle everything from e-waste to mobile phones to paint. The website has recently had a cosmetic lift with further development happening later in 2018. Take a look at it’s new look and let us know your thoughts.
In 2010 our Business Recycling campaign was launched, a collaboration between Planet Ark and the NSW EPA with the aim of helping small and medium businesses recycle better.
Wood can play a big part in helping tackle climate change when sourced responsibly. That’s why we launched Make It Wood in 2011 to encourage people to use sustainably sourced wood as a building material.
In 2013 the Make It Australian Recycled campaign was born to increase recycling of office paper and encourage people to buy it back by choosing high-recycled content Australian made office paper. Since then we’ve created our very own Planet Ark 100% Australian Recycled Paper and we encourage all of our supporters to make the switch!
We launched the Planet Ark Power program in 2017 to encourage businesses to adopt solar power for their own electricity use. We are now working with businesses, schools and councils to generate their own solar power and implement energy efficiency and storage technologies.
The Australasian Recycling Label launched in 2018. In conjunction with PREP and the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation, this label informs consumers on how to correctly recycle/dispose of all their packaging.
We have had and still do have, many other projects on the go. We focus our energy where we believe we can make the biggest difference which is why from the very beginning we chose to work alongside businesses like you.
Thank you to all of our partners, sponsors, supporters, volunteers and staff members over the years as we wouldn't be what we are today without your ongoing support.
In March 2018, Planet Ark staff and partner organisations celebrated at the Melbourne Botanic Gardens with Jamie Durie hosting the event. Other guests included Daniel Tartak, CEO of Bingo Industries and Costa Georgiadis from Gardening Australia on the ABC.
We look forward to another 25 years of positive environmental action.
- Taking time to talk trees and more »
- Planet Ark endorsed RecycleMe launches return mail bag for small businesses »
- Australia’s largest marathon uses RecycleMe to divert thousands of cups from landfill »
- 8 ways to spring clean sustainably »
- Local knitting group crafts wattle forest in North Sydney CBD »
- Dispatch from Tree Day - Friends of Lake Claremont »
- Everyday Enviro with Elise - Planting trees for National Tree Day and beyond »
- Looking for ways to fight climate change? Plant trees »
- Chemicals of concern in food packaging – what’s in your kitchen? »
- Businesses urged to cease use of till receipts containing potentially harmful chemicals »
- Planet Ark partners with Alliance Paper to provide safer paper products to Aussie businesses »
- Research finds Aussies have faith in Planet Ark's endorsement program »
- Innovation, collaboration and bold ideas the way forward for sustainable fashion »
- Clothing and textile sustainability the hottest fashion trend for 2019 »
- Planet Ark endorses Detpak's new coffee cup recycling system »
- 5 tips for greening your laundry »
- The new regifting - giving recycled products »
- Naturale pledges to end recycling labelling confusion »
- Winners of the Schools Tree Day competition »
- Tree talk - Tree sisters »
- Everyday Enviro with Elise - Bringing in the green »
- Our Schools Tree Day and National Tree Day »
- Sydney breathing wall a world first »
- National Tree Day Research 2018: Connect in Nature »
- Threatened koalas receive NSW rescue package »
- Introducing our new partner Planet Protector Packaging »
- Our green resolutions »
- Calling for 2018 National Tree Day supporters »
- What's so special about Naturale? »
- Australians celebrate 22 years of National Tree Day »
- Orange's power bears fruit for Planet Ark and Aware Environmental »
- Choosing an eco-friendly Christmas tree »
- Get Crafty this Christmas »
- New Endorsement - Soft on the Environment and You »
- Planet Ark Launches 100% Recycled Office Paper »
- Planet Ark Launches 100% Recycled Office Paper »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- 5 Photos You Can Take to Help the Environment »
- Our coordinators have done a tree-mendous job! »
- Community Garden Transformation Competition 2016 »
- Australians celebrate 21 years of National Tree Day »
- School Garden Transformation Winners 2016 »
- Students grow more with nature »
- Find A Tree Day Event in Your Area »
- Grow a Green Thumb »
- The Birds and the Trees »
- Community Garden Competition »
- Adding Trees - A Prescription for Health, Happiness and Fulfilment »
- Meet the Tree Day Team - We're Here to Help »
- The Cleaning Fairy Is On Its Way »
- Ten Years of Bringing Value to the Community »
- WIN a $7,500 makeover for your school this National Tree Day! »
- The Importance of Green Public Spaces »
- The benefits of gardening for little people »
- How Does Laundry Powder Help Trees Grow? »
- Inspirational teachers share their story on improving student performance (CPD points) »
- Fashionable Questions - Who Made Your Clothes and Where Do They End Up? »
- Grow More With National Tree Day »
- Back at work? keep that vacation feeling with some 'Green' time... »
- New Year, New Products »
- Give someone a (indoor) tree this Christmas! »
- Discount Tickets for 'dirtgirl's get grubby the musical' at the Opera House »
- Schools Tree Day 2015 Winners Announced »
- Help Save Safe Toilet Paper! »
- 2015 Grow Up With Nature Photo Competition Winner Announced »
- Awake to the Fun of Recycling »
- Planet Ark Project - Answering Kid's Questions »
- Tree Cheers For Australia! »
- A Rock 'N' Roll Tree Day »
- Grow Up With Nature - Competition »
- Get Grubby Then Get Clean »
- Wise Words From An Eleven-Year-Old »
- Dabbling in DIY »
- Planet Ark Ambassadors Honoured »
- The Real Tree Day Stars - Our Site Coordinators »