Close the Loop winners at 2018 Hume Business Awards
Author: Claire Bell
Cartridges 4 Planet Ark resource recovery partner, Close the Loop had a great night at the recent Hume City Council Business Awards, winners in two categories.
The awards are hotly contested with some of Australia’s best-known businesses vying for prizes. Close the Loop was the winner in the Sustainability category as well as winning the award for Innovation. And to top off the night Close the Loop won the very prestigious Business of the Year Award, an achievement to be proud of and a credit to the passion and hard work of the whole team.
The Business Awards acknowledge and celebrate the achievements of businesses and the contribution they have made to the Hume economy and the wider community.
The innovative business provides resource recovery and sustainability solutions, including zero waste to landfill for the recycling of printer cartridges for Planet Ark. Over the past 6 years, they have collaborated with infrastructure group Downer to develop a new road surface using waste toner from cartridges, stockpiled glass and soft plastics. Trial roads have been laid in Victoria and New South Wales which not only provide a solution for waste by making a recycled product, the roads have an increased fatigue life of 65% which means they last longer, need less maintenance and are superior quality over standard asphalt roads.
Councils around the country are showing a keen interest in using this new road surface.
Peter Tamblyn, Close the Loop’s Sales & Marketing Manager for Asia Pacific, said “the timing of this couldn’t have been better, with Asian markets closing to plastics and Australia requiring industrial-strength solutions to problematic waste issues right now, these roads make a fantastic contribution but are also a superior product that can be recycled over and over, a perfect circular economy solution”.
Close the Loop has developed a range of recycled products made from waste printer cartridges collected via the Cartridges 4 Planet Ark program and other sources such as soft plastics from the REDCycle program. Planet Ark are proud to be a partner with Close The Loop since 2003 and look forward to seeing what they develop next!
Claire is Planet Ark's Recycling Campaign Manager. After working in the communications industry and raising a young family, she joined Planet Ark to follow her passion for helping the environment.
- Sustainable printing? Yes, it is possible! »
- Cartridges 4 Planet Ark nails product stewardship at a time when most are finding their feet »
- Who's in the top ten returners for Cartridges 4 Planet Ark? »
- Recycle your schools' printer cartridges in May to help protect our beaches »
- Research reveals Australia's most trusted recycling program »
- Important green dates for the 2019 school calendar »
- We're celebrating 40 million cartridges saved from landfill »
- The new regifting - giving recycled products »
- New research sheds light on Australian attitudes towards environmental sustainability »
- Lake Macquarie Council paving the way for recycled roads »
- NSW gets its own revolutionary road »
- Where are we with e-waste recycling? »
- Budding Australian solutions for plastic waste »
- Did your council or workplace make the top ten? »
- Cartridges 4 Planet Ark celebrates 15 years of recycling with Layne Beachley »
- How Cartridges 4 Planet Ark is part of the solution to plastic pollution »
- Find out how Cartridges 4 Planet Ark is part of the solution to plastic pollution »
- Compatible printer cartridges are not what you think they are »
- Epson elevates commitment to cartridge recycling »
- Did Your Council or Workplace Make the Top Ten? »
- Thanks Australia! 13,500 Printer Cartridges Recycled Every Working Day »
- An Impressive 10 Million and Counting »
- Printer Cartridges are Driving Innovation »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
- Zero Waste Audit Results for 'Cartridges 4 Planet Ark' Program Partner »
- Win a YEAR'S SUPPLY of Naturale Toilet Tissue »
- You made June our Biggest Month Ever! »
- A Quick Recycling Guide To 3 Tricky Items »
- Selfie Challenge Winners »
- Printage Cartrij? Printer cartres? Printer Cartridges? »
- Reimagining Rubbish as a Resource »
- Selfie Challenge - #WhatsNotToLove »
- Look Who's Recycled 30 Million Cartridges »
- Electrify Recycling »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Planet Ark Ambassadors Honoured »