Data management tips for recycling peace of mind
Author: Claire Bell
Are you hanging on to your old broken mobile phone or another device because you don’t know how to deal with your personal data? Some handy tips can help you feel secure about letting go of your device and get it recycled.
E-waste is one of the fastest growing waste streams in Australia, as the latest models of devices are released to market there is an ever growing amount of old and broken models piling up in garages, cupboards and drawers in Australian households.
The Australian government and manufacturers are working together to keep e-waste out of landfill and back into circulation by recycling their valuable resources. Product stewardship programs such as MobileMuster and the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme provide free and easy access for the public to recycle their mobile phones and other electronics safely and securely.
Concerns around data security and personal information held on devices, being accessed by a third party, may cause some to hold onto their e-waste and prevent them from sending it for recycling.
Providing information on how to securely remove data from a device is one way MobileMuster is helping to get mobile phones out or those drawers and cupboards and into their collection program for recycling. All data should be removed from a device before it is sent for recycling. MobileMuster has a range of videos making it easy to remove data no matter what model of mobile phone a user may have.
Take a look at MobileMuster’s Data Management Tips for your mobile phone and take the first step to get it recycled.
Claire is Planet Ark's Recycling Campaign Manager. After working in the communications industry and raising a young family, she joined Planet Ark to follow her passion for helping the environment.
- What are you doing with your old mobile phone? »
- Top 6 holiday tips from RecyclingNearYou »
- Five things you shouldn't put in the recycling bin - ever! »
- 8 ways to spring clean sustainably »
- What can we do to reduce our e-waste? »
- Is your organisation ready for the VIC e-waste ban? »
- Student film making competition to help recycle mobiles »
- Recycle a phone and help clean the ocean »
- Reboot your perspective on recycling this National Recycling Week »
- Lake Macquarie Council paving the way for recycled roads »
- Turning the tide on trash with the ABC's War On Waste »
- Where are we with e-waste recycling? »
- The 'queen of green steel' launches landmark e-waste microfactory »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part Two) »
- Upcoming E-Waste Collection Events »
- A Quick Recycling Guide To 3 Tricky Items »
- Who Made the Top Ten Cartridge Recyclers »
- Give Dumpers A Lesson »
- Power Tool Battery recycling creates buzz in Brisbane »
- Batteries Included »
- Save the date! 'Waste Not, Want Not' Day is coming »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Declutter Your Office E-waste for FREE »
- Power Tool Battery Recycling Pilot Launches in Brisbane »
- E-Waste Busters »