Student film making competition to help recycle mobiles
Author: Liam Taylor
Do your students have a passion for the environment and film making? Would they like to win a trip to Sydney for the screening of their film, as well as industry experience workshops? MobileMuster has the competition for you.
The organisation, which acts as the product stewardship body of the mobile phone industry, has launched a film competition for schools and students around Australia with the theme Use it or recycle it. Students are tasked with creating a 1-minute film that encourages the community to recycle their old mobile phones, which can be be live action, stop-motion, picture story or a combination of the above!
Entry is free and is open to all primary and secondary school students in Australia, with the competition closing during Term 3 on September 23rd. Finalist representatives win an industry experience day in Sydney where all the top picks will be screened in full. Plus, winning films will be awarded a $5000 technology prize and be showcased by Planet Ark during National Recycling Week in November.
Recycling your old mobile phones ensures we keep the valuable materials within them out of landfill and in circulation. Over 99% of the resources contained in mobile phones (including gold, copper and other valuable metals), can be recovered and returned to the supply chain to go back into making new products. MobileMuster estimates there could be over 23 million unused mobile phones in drawers and cupboards across Australia.
Find out more
Check out all the competition details and the wealth of guiding resources provided to help teachers and students create a great film with MobileMuster.
For more information on the importance of your old mobile phone, visit RecyclingNearYou.
Liam is Planet Ark's Communications Coordinator. Prior to joining Planet Ark Liam spent his time studying global environmental issues, travelling Southeast Asia on the cheap and working for a sustainable property management company in Bali, Indonesia.
- Top 6 holiday tips from RecyclingNearYou »
- Five things you shouldn't put in the recycling bin - ever! »
- 8 ways to spring clean sustainably »
- What can we do to reduce our e-waste? »
- Is your organisation ready for the VIC e-waste ban? »
- Recycle a phone and help clean the ocean »
- Data management tips for recycling peace of mind »
- Reboot your perspective on recycling this National Recycling Week »
- Lake Macquarie Council paving the way for recycled roads »
- Turning the tide on trash with the ABC's War On Waste »
- Where are we with e-waste recycling? »
- The 'queen of green steel' launches landmark e-waste microfactory »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part Two) »
- Upcoming E-Waste Collection Events »
- A Quick Recycling Guide To 3 Tricky Items »
- Who Made the Top Ten Cartridge Recyclers »
- Give Dumpers A Lesson »
- Power Tool Battery recycling creates buzz in Brisbane »
- Batteries Included »
- Save the date! 'Waste Not, Want Not' Day is coming »
- What's In a Label? »
- Is it Gold For Australia? »
- Declutter Your Office E-waste for FREE »
- Power Tool Battery Recycling Pilot Launches in Brisbane »
- E-Waste Busters »